Alpaca fiber has long been regarded as a luxurious yarn and offers many benefits over traditional wool options. It lacks lanolin so it is an acceptable alternative for those who may be allergic. Prized for its silky texture and luster, it’s a also a great option for someone who wants to try something new.
Instantly, thoughts of a beautiful alpaca afghan come to mind. There are many different places to find alpaca fiber, yarns, and finished goods online. Initially, I assumed that alpaca yarns would be extremely expensive or hard to find, but I have found several resources online. If pure alpaca yarns are too expensive, it is very easy to find a cheaper blend with mixtures of alpaca and other fibers.
Here’s what I found:
- The Alpaca Yarn Company – yarn and patterns
- Smiley’s Yarn – see my post on discount yarns for a better description
Some Etsy options:
- Beach Girls Purls – yarn (pure and merino blends)
- Sheeping Beauty – some truly amazing handspun yarn
- Yarns of Italy – this store has several baby alpaca (cria) blends available